Today I finished sewing my first proper lolita JSK. I'm not 100% happy with it and there are several flaws but I'm really glad I finished it anyway ^__^
Ignore the exposed overlocking on the straps and the fact that I didn't iron it before taking pictures [it was getting dark!]. This was the first time I'd used this pattern and I never bother finishing things too finely on my first try because my first tries often don't turn out too well!
I used Simplicity 2176 for the bodice with a very full rectangle skirt. A brief review on the pattern: it was simple to follow and has a nice shape but it was gigantic! I made it in a size that was meant to be slightly too small and I had to take it in by at least ten centimetres. So if you're using this pattern either their measurements are off or they assume you need a humongous amount of seam allowance. Either way, go a size or two down to what you think you need, or at least be prepared to have to take it in.
There's a bit of a back story to this dress. It was originally going to have a skirt of brown and gold plaid, but then I realised I didn't have enough of that fabric left. So I made it with a pink-and-brown tiered skirt but messed up the measurements so it looked awful. Finally I bought this green fabric and managed to complete the dress one and for all! The skirt fabric was a lucky find, it reminds me of Bouquet Stripe by Innocent World a little.
I may still add a big bow or several small bows of the green to the bodice, but I'm not sure yet. I laid out an outfit with it and I think it looks quite nice. I paired it with a F+F blouse, meta socks, taobao green velvet headbow and Bodyline shoes. Those shoes are fresh out of the box, don't worry I'm not putting dirty shoes on things!
Overall I'm pretty happy with my first handmade JSK. It's by no means perfect but it's wearable, it's done and I've found a pretty good bodice pattern that I think will be nice and versatile once I can get the sizing right.