Pages

Sunday 19 April 2015

Lolita 52: Five pieces that every lolita wardrobe should have, regardless of style

I've finally decided to undertake the Lolita 52 series! Mostly because I want to keep this blog active but my wardrobe challenges are a lot of work even though I love them, and even coming up with flat-lay outfits is sometimes more effort than I want to put in, as well as requiring things like sunlight to be able to take half-decent pictures. So, since this has been around for a couple of years now, I thought I'd give it a go for when I want to blog a bit more quickly and simply about something.

Funny story before we start, kinda. I was actually going to do this challenge when the list was first posted on FYeahLolita. I even commented saying that I wanted to, despite my newness to the fashion, because I had opinions regardless of my newb-ness. Then I decided, and again commented, that maybe I wouldn't, because some of the questions required a certain amount of time in the fashion to be able to give an interesting answer to. But now here I am, two years down the track, giving it a go, starting with the first topic on the list.

In blogs I've read people have approached this topic mostly in general terms but I wanted to be slightly more specific. So, with no further ado, here is my set of five things each lolita wardrobe should have.

A petticoat
It really shouldn't need mentioning, but since the silhouette is the main feature of lolita it seems remiss of me to make a list of essentials and not include it. Before any main piece a petticoat is the most important foundation garment for any lolita. Big and cupcake, subdued and a-line... as long as it's there!

Picture from Chiffon Rose, found here.

Lace tights in black and white
I adore lolita OTKs. Adore them! But I think that good quality lace tights in black and white should be a wardrobe staple for any lolita, above any lolita-specific legwear. They are neutral, but not in the same way plain tights are. They are detailed, but they don't draw too much attention. A black and a  white pair could go with pretty much everything, and if you've read much of my blog you'd know I love versatile wardrobe items.

Tights from Modcloth.

Pearl jewellery
Another item that makes my list because of its versatility is a set of pearl jewellery, or at least a necklace and bracelet. Pearls can go with everything except the sweetest of sweet and the most gothic-y outfits and have a timeless class that I think suits lolita really well.

This set found here.

A simple white blouse
Here's where I get specific. Why a white blouse? To me white is the most neutral of neutral colours and a white blouse can be worn in each of the main substyles, though not necessarily with every single main piece. Something with a fairly simple design, like a small peter pan collar, would be able to go with nearly everything and be a good fall back piece. I'm all for interesting blouses but neutral ones are so much more important for building a well-rounded wardrobe. 

A lovely plain blouse from Metamorphose.

A neutral bag [in brown, white or black]
My final item is a neutral bag in a colour that matches your wardrobe. Like with blouses I love interesting bags but a solid coloured neutral bag that's large enough for everyday use will round out your wardrobe really well. I can't say any single colour is better here because it really depends on which substyle you wear most.

This adorable bag is from Innocent World.

That's my list of five things that every lolita should have. Do you agree or disagree? What items would you have on your list?

No comments:

Post a Comment