Pages

Tuesday 28 April 2020

Quarantine coord planning

Okay, so I'm not actually in quarantine, just working from home and practising proper social distancing so I only go out for groceries at the moment. But it makes for a snappier title!

Anyway, I digress. As you would have seen from my coordinate roundup posts, I'm taking full advantage of currently working from home to wear lolita. I've been doing it in a very regimented way and thought that is might be interesting to share my methodology.

As a starting point, I already had a spreadsheet of my main pieces. There are two pages, one containing items that currently fit and one with those that don't. Each sheet is sorted by the date I last wore the main piece, from oldest to newest. While I don't usually let the dates here influence me it is still a good source of information, and does sometimes influence my choice of main piece.

This handmade skirt gets worn a lot, and I keep wearing it despite that frequency!

But as soon as I realised I'd be wearing lolita five times a week for who knows how long, I decided I wanted to make it an opportunity to wear everything and not fall into a rut. So I copied the list of main pieces into a document and split them up - never worn, last worn 2017 or earlier, last worn 2018, last worn 2019, and worn this year already. Then for each main piece I jotted down the main ideas for an outfit, trying not to just stick to the obvious coordinates.

Then I started working through wearing said coords. I didn't strictly limit myself to the exact order they were in, but I did try to wear the pieces I'd worn the longest time ago - or not at all! - sooner. Which was a really good feeling! I do feel a bit guilty having beautiful things I don't wear so this method took care of that.

Once a coord was worn, I shifted the main piece to the bottom of one of two lists in the document - Comfortable and Not Comfortable. I'm a realist, and I discovered that some things were just not good to stay in for eight hours at a stretch so I wanted them off the rotation. Still technically wearable, so not removed entirely from my planning, but not front and centre.

Queen Cat - gorgeous but a wee bit too tight to wear for eight hours!

For every main piece listed under Comfortable I jotted down an idea for a different coord, once again trying to go a little beyond the obvious, and not be too repetitive of the outfit I'd just worn. And then, once I'd made my way through each main piece and separated them into Comfortable or Not, I worked my way through the Comfortable list.

As I say, under normal circumstances I'm not too militant about what main pieces I wear. But with it being likely that I'd wear a lot of coords in relatively rapid succession, I wanted to force versatility on myself. With that said I wasn't too strident about keeping an exact order, but I have been trying to keep up a good rotation.

It's been fun to wear a little bit of everything!

At time of posting, I'm still working from home and working through my lolita wardrobe - like I say, it's probably going to extend until at least the end of June, which means around seventy coords in total! I'm not even sure if I've worn lolita much more than seventy times so far all up!

But it has been fun, and it has really motivated me to take better care of my health - I want to fit everything better, dammit! It has also helped me identify gaps and items that would really be useful for my wardrobe...I really need a pink bolero! I may blog about that as well since it has been rather eye opening.

So that's been a little bit about how I've been choosing what to wear while in "quarantine". Have you been wearing lolita (or other fun things) during this time?

4 comments:

  1. Bloody hell, seventy coords...! That's impressive. And it's a good idea to separate your main pieces into comfortable and uncomfortable. I sort of remember that about mine, but don't have anything so uncomfortable so as to not be able to wear it for 8 hours (for me that can easily be one meetup including the commute, so if I can manage a meetup, I should manage wearing the piece at home). I may take off some other parts of the coord though. Once you find yourself fitting into some of the pieces more comfortably, will you bring them back into rotation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, to be frank so far most of my "writing Fridays" have turned into "anything but writing Fridays" so that brings the likely total down to more like 55. Which is still a lot!

      Absolutely, as soon as I can wear something it's back in the rotation! I've also started sewing a bit more so hopefully can add a handmade piece or two in as well...

      Delete
  2. Love that level of organisation! Also I can totally relate about those pieces you always gravitate towards. Have you considered making similar skirts so you have a larger pool of choices for a comfy lolita skirt that's easy to coordinate?

    I'm really into the idea of intentionally cracking out those pieces that haven't seen much love recently. It's rare for me to wear proper lolita coordinates these days so I think it will be nice for me to incorporate this challenge into my new lockdown existence lol. For me, I think if I can try to wear lolita a couple times a week it would give me a nice rotation for a while.
    When I'm not in lolita, I'm still wearing something fun anyway! I think it's just too outside my nature to wear pieces that don't inspire some kind of happy or excited reaction in me ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have skirt plans (in fact, there's a half made pleated tartan skirt on my kitchen table right now) so that's definitely in the pipeline!

      That's exactly how fashion should be - things that make you happy and excited. I've enjoyed seeing lots of your daily outfits in your insta stories ^__^

      Delete