Pages

Wednesday 29 March 2017

Lolita 52: Favourite hair style

This one is an easy one! Plaits and braids are my number one go-to hairstyle. I mean, aesthetically I love half updos with loose curls, victory rolls, hime bumps, and all of that but as far as a hair style I actually like to use it is plaits and braids all the way. I have very fly-away hair and things tend to get messy very quickly if I don’t keep the main restrained! Of course, just natural loose hair with lolita is something that I really enjoy as well and what's great is I recently go my hip-length hair chopped to shoulder blade level so I can do this again without becoming Cousin It!

My most common lolita hairstyle is simply two plaits, generally with bows at the end. It’s simple, looks nice and most of all – it’s easy to do. I don’t have a lot of patience with my hair! Plaits like this were especially good when I the purple balayage because it showcased the colour nicely...and now that it's shorter their cute because they frame my face nicely!

Me with my purple glory.

Another variation I enjoy is a crown braid, though for this I used to cheat and just wrap two plaits around my head. It’s only in the last couple of years that I had long enough hair to do this easily and I loved it... but I'll be going back to actually braiding now!The only downside is that having the hair up, given that I don’t tend to go for very large hair accessories, my head can sometimes look a little small compared to my petticoat inflated skirt with this style!

Lastly, a style I’ve only worn out once but that I intend to again if my newly shorn hair can manage it is looped braids. Unsurprisingly, this also starts with two plaits but looping them up is super cute and a bit doll-like. It’s certainly an old-fashioned kind of hairstyle and I really like how it look with classic outfits. And hey, if I can't do it with my natural hair I can do it with a wig!

Do you have a favourite, go-to hairstyle for lolita?

8 comments:

  1. Cute!! Braids are a go-to style for me as well (I've also got flyaway hair, haha), my favorite is probably french braided from the back to front and wrapped into a hair crown, but since it's such a small hairstyle, I usually wear it like that with boystyle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say, small head syndrome is the only downside of braids with lolita!

      Delete
  2. French braids on back of my head. But natural curls is nice, just get hand through or shake my head and it is pretty again. I can do a dutch braid with my bangs as well or straighten it or wave it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a favourite hairstyle, for me the hairstyle has to go with the outfit, which often varies. I could only narrow it down so much as to say "curls" because my hair is naturally as straight as it gets and I find curls extremely beautiful and elegan. <3
    But I used to do the cheat plait crown too! I still have two left hands when it comes to my hair, but when it was really long (we're talking good 100cm, past bum-length) I'd do one or two plaits and just pin them up. It looks just as good, but is far, far less hassle :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very good point about the style just needing to match the outfit, and yes, curls are lovely.

      Delete
  4. Braids are so cute and versatile! I love your purple hair in that picture! It really suits you, and looks great with red!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Braids are entirely the best and thank you! I loved the purple, but the length was such a hassle. I may get mini purple tips put in again.

      Delete