Pages

Sunday 3 May 2015

Lolita Sewing: Cherry skirt

Yesterday I made a skirt, which is without a doubt the best skirt I've ever made. Possibly the best garment ever. Even with the few mistakes I always seem to make when I sew this is the best constructed and most professional looking thing I have ever made, and I am very pleased with myself.


Ta-da! I know the fact that this is a satin fabric takes this a step away from typical lolita towards perhaps a pinup or rockabilly style and if it wasn't for the dual facts that a. I had this in my stash and b. my actual surname is Cherry and until now I haven't owned a piece of cherry-patterned clothing, I'd have used something more typically lolita. However, I think it has a much more casual vibe this way which I do like and which will make it very easily wearable. I also found a lovely lace for the hem, which I'm really happy with.


It's a very simple skirt all told but it's the neatest piece of sewing I've done, ever. I mean, look at that hem! I overlocked the lace to the fabric first then turned the hem up so there's only one line of stitching on the outside. The skirt is also fully lined, which is something I haven't done before. I'm particularly proud of how neat it looks in the inside.


The white overlocking isn't a mistake, it was me deciding that I didn't care enough to rethread the machine! The mistake I did make with this was that the bobbin on my main machine was still threaded with dark green and since it's been rainy and gloomy all week and our craft room is pretty dark I didn't notice until I was finished. It's not really noticeable at all through, so I don't mind.

This is also one of the first times I've sewn something and not encountered something I hadn't thought about. Normally, even when following a pattern, I think it all through and go "yep, I've got this, I know what's got to happen" and then I always have a moment where something doesn't go how I thought it would. Sometimes this is a minor stumble; sometimes it means [especially when working without a pattern] I have to completely redo something. But this time I had no such problems. Yay!

I know it may seem a bit odd to be exited about how well a rectangle skirt turned out, but I'm really proud of how this turned out. This week I want to maybe try making some matching head thingies, and I definitely want to put together some outfits to show of my newest wardrobe addition [after I iron it properly, it really shows wrinkles in photos!] as well ^__^

2 comments:

  1. Ooh nice work, I actually love the satin texture and the colour (well, black is my favourite "colour" so it's no surprise). It's been such a long time since I made a skirt, this makes me want to try again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you liked it! I rather like the satin too but I get wary about posting things that break the lolita rules, lol.

      Good luck with your skirt if you make one, and you totally should, because sewing is fun :)

      Delete