Pages

Monday 31 January 2022

Not really a wardrobe post

Readers, I will be honest. I cannot be arsed doing a wardrobe post this year. In god news, that's mostly because there hasn't been much change - just a few arrivals and several departures. So I'm not missing out by not doing one ^__^

However, I thought it would be nice to do a little review of those changes in a wardrobe post of sorts.

New Arrivals

My most notable addition in 2021 was Meta's Camellia ~ at hide and seek~ which I absolutely adore. I've already worn it twice, and it's such a gorgeous piece that even my minimal-effort outfits look good.

I also posted a YouTube video unboxing this, so have a watch below if that's your thing ^__^

2021 also saw me finally acquire some blouses that fit from Glitter Tale, yay! I've worn the white one a lot, but the others...not so much. Oh well. It's still nice to have some comfortably fitting blouses even though I'm kind of "meh" on Glitter Tale.

Lastly, my black tea parties died and I bought a similar pair from Aliexpress. Not very exciting, but there you go.

Oh, and I nabbed a couple of classic-suitable necklaces from our model wardrobe. There are probably a few other bibs and bobs I'm forgetting but that's most of it! 

Fond Farewells

As I said at the start, last year saw a fair few departures. I did another wardrobe purge, and finally parted ways with things that don't feel "me" and things that will take a lot of weight loss to fit into. Again, I have a video on this on YouTube, embedded here for your viewing pleasure. Though be warned...it is long, rambly, and includes as much cosplay stuff as lolita stuff.

Another item I let go later on in the year was Bodyline L003 and a couple of pairs of socks. A friend James and I reconnected with expressed an interest in lolita and a lack of funds to get into it. We decided she and James would do a photoshoot where I dressed her in lolita.

When I was coming up with a coord for her, as she is significantly smaller than I am, I decided to just give her an Innocent World blouse and bolero from the aforementioned purge, as I'd listed them to Lacemarket and they weren't selling. Then I thought "those will goes very nicely with that Bodyline floral" and realised that the JSK would suit her colouring far better than mine, so she might as well have that to keep as well, since then she has the big parts of a coord. Eventually I'll learn not to buy beige or tan based things...

Then for that outfit I put her in some pretty Meta OTKS that I've never worn due to size, and when I saw that the pattern was a little stretched out even on her very slim legs I was like "fuck it, these are never going to work on me no matter now much weight I lose" (hearty Scandinavian types, you feel me?) so I gave her that pair, and the second pair of the same socks in a different colour that I own.

Though, to be fair, they look kind of wonky even on this mannequin leg!

And sadly, last year my gorgeous fawn fur handbag fell apart at the seams after years of near-constant use... genuinely, I was very sad about this, and still kind of am. It was a great conversation starter!

In Summary

Overall, more went out than came in to my lolita wardrobe, but those changes were all for the better. The make my wardrobe better more wearable for me... and I've freed up some space for more new additions ^__^

I mean, I'm actually really enjoying not buying very much in terms of lolita. Being more mindful, for lack of a better term, about my wardrobe has been good for me. I've also started sewing more again (I have a cutsew and a skirt in the works at the moment), and would love for my wardrobe to expand mostly with handmade or indie brand pieces. However, I'm not making any particular goals in that regard - I'll add what I like, when I like ^__^ 

2 comments:

  1. That Meta dress is gorgeous! I've been avoiding doing a proper wardrobe post in the last years because I had many items stuck in Japan with the pandemic, but this year I think I will make one when all the packages finally arrive. Honestly, doing wardrobe posts is exhausting. I think I will photograph all at once and in the next years I will just add or remove items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That dress has shot right up to the top of my wardrobe favourites!

      I'd love to see your wardrobe post once you get all your packages. But yes, it is very hard work so your plan sounds very sensible.

      Delete