Pages

Monday 25 October 2021

A lolita capsule wardrobe from only Western indie brands

Yep, you're seeing things right - it's yet another capsule wardrobe. I actually put this suggestion up on CGL myself - a capsule only from Western indie brands - and then ended up making it when no-one else did!

It was quite challenging, but also not as hard as I thought it would be. Part of the challenge did come from needing to use clear stock images - there were some lovely printed tights that I would have loved to included, but they were all pictured on models who were sitting down, wearing shoes, and all that fun stuff. In the end, for legwear and headwear I did stretch a bit with some offbrand pieces...but it's my capsule so I make the rules and I say it's okay ^__^

But enough of what I didn't get to use, here's what I did use!


Since this is indie brands and not so quickly recognisable, here's a quick rundown of where the pieces come from.

Main pieces: Sweet Mildred, The Black Ribbon, Lady Sloth
Tops: Lady Sloth, The Black Ribbon x2, Lady Sloth
Headwear: eBay, Sweet Mildred, Me Likes Tea, Imperial Fiddlesticks x2
Legwear: Offbrand x2, Enchanted Dream Wear, eBay x2
Bag: Cotton Candy Feet
Shoes: Cotton Candy Feet, Fluffy Tori

And now, naturally, please enjoy four outfits with each main piece.


This JSK is really gorgeous, I utterly fell in love. And I just realised I didn't coord it with the bolero at all...ooops! My favourite outfit from this lot if the bottom right, it's just the right mix of simple and elegant for my tastes.


The Black Ribbon has released a whole lot of pretty and comfortable looking skirts over the years, so I just had to include one! I also included their Jillian cutsew in ivory because I own it in both colours and think it's an excellent piece.


And lastly, an opulent Lady Sloth OP to finish things off. As usual with OPs, it's not the most versatile, but I think you can do enough with it that it still works for the capsule.

Like I said at the start, I really enjoyed this as a challenge. Working with a much more limited pool of items to choose from really made me think hard about it all. However, those same limitations means that it's not the best capsule overall. But it's still definitely good, and I kind of like it's imperfections because to me they illustrate perfectly how important buying from a range of sources can be for lolita!

It also illustrated that we need more indie brands making socks. Just saying ^__^

2 comments:

  1. Yes, we so need more indie brands making socks and tights (especially printed and non-striped ones!). Violet Fane ones are so good, but these days they only make them for their printed dress releases rather than also do some more neutral all-rounder designs. Though I've seen a preview of some bittersweet tights from Fluffy Tori (looked like a Halloween release), which could be exciting.
    Also, this is an excellent capsule. Even if something feels mish-mashed, because it's mostly a classic one, it ends up working in the outfits' favour anyway since a bit of mish-mash just works with busy classic prints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I daydream about having the capital to start up a sock-focused lolita brand lol. So many ideas!

      And thank you, glad you liked it!

      Delete