Pages

Wednesday 6 January 2021

2020 outfit summary - the great and terrible year

So, wow, 2020 huh? A shit year on so many levels - globally and personally - with some awesome highlights thrown in. But this post isn't for any of that, this post is to analyse how I wore lolita last year!

In 2020 I wore lolita 68 times, or an average of five and a half-ish times per month. This is absolutely a record for me, and it only happened because I ended up working from home since the end of March an decided to take advantage of that to wear lolita to work. My initial intention was to wear it every work day, which I promptly failed to do, but I still wore it for work a lot - 50 of those 68 outfits. During this time I also tried to wear all my main pieces in a roughly equal amount (at least for a while), so every main piece that currently fits was worn a minimum of three times (with the exception of some that fit, but are uncomfortable to wear for a full day, so they only got worn once).

Some of my favourite WFH looks.

So obviously, when we look at the reasons for wearing lolita in 2020, the biggest piece of the pie is for work. But even if we remove the 50 WFH outfits from the equation I'd have worn lolita 18 times this year, which is up from 2020 and not too shabby. And if 2020 had been a normal year, I'd probably have slipped in a few simple coords to work on a casual Friday so the count would have likely been in the low 20s. So I'm happy no matter what.


In terms of what I wore, as I mentioned earlier I tried to wear my main pieces equally for a good chunk of the year. However, I didn't stick to that for the whole year, and three dresses emerged as clear favourites with six coords each - BTSSB's Tartan Check, Meta's Rose Stripe Shirring and Meta's Teddy Chocolatier. 


So my little graph of main pieces by colour isn't really all that insightful, it really just mirrors the main pieces that I won that currently fit. Still wanted to include it though, it's tradition! And I do like that, even though my variety was "forced" it happened ^__^

Speaking of variety, wearing lolita so much and trying to wear all my main pieces really got me experimenting. I wore pieces in new ways and really had a lot of fun with the fashion.

Three different outfits with this skirt, none of which I'd have thought of before this year. 

Something I am very, very proud of is my first forays into wa lolita! While these outfits are far from perfect, it was so much fun to try out something very outside of my normal comfort zone, and to be able to do it pretty decently.

In terms of substyle, much like the colours of my main pieces this was fair strictly defined by the contents of my wardrobe rather than any choices I made, but once again, it's tradition, so I want to share the graph!


Overall, 2020 was an impressive year for me in lolita. Not only did I wear an awful lot of the fashion - more than the last three years combined - but I took another trip to Japan (where, of course, I bought things), started my YouTube channel, an even did my first twinning! While I really, really hope that 2021 calms down a whole lot and gets back to normal, I hope that I can keep up with being more enthusiastic about lolita fashion again. 

2 comments:

  1. An average of 5.5/month is great, that's more than once a week! And I'm with you in that as shit as the pandemic is, dressing up more forced me to be more creative than I otherwise would have been. And that in itself is great, even more so when it leads us to discovering something new that we like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really proud of myself, TBH. It's been a ride, but at least this lolita part of it has been fun!

      Delete