Pages

Wednesday 20 May 2020

Recent lolita sewing achievements

During this enforced stay-at-home time I've actually found the mojo to get some sewing done. Some has been cosplay-related, which you can see on my Facebook page, but some has been lolita too! I don't have much to say about each project so I thought I'd just do a little roundup of the things I've finished over the past couple of months. You've actually already seen all these items in my recent coord posts but let's still just take a moment to look at them all!


Firstly I finally made a matching hair accessory for my cherry skirt! I initially thought I'd make a pair of bow clips, but then when I sat down with the fabric I realised I wanted more of a headbow. I don't like making headbows so after a bit of googling I settle on this usamimi style, though it's unwired so it's not pose-able. This took me literally twenty minutes to make and I adore it! It's cute, it's comfortable, and I'm definitely going to make more in this style in future.


The next project was a lot bigger...and I think I've had the fabric for like, two years. But it's done now so let's not dwell on that part. Say hello to my new tartan skirt ^__^


It's a bit sloppy in places but honestly that's all a result of me taking the easy route, like not ironing my pleats before sewing them down, and not adding interfacing to the waistband. I'm super happy with how it turned out and I can already tell it's going to be a great, versatile addition to my wardrobe. I'm very proud of my work on this one, and love that all the "flaws" are just because I took shortcuts, not because I messed things up.

Lastly, I modified some socks. I found myself wishing for some lace-topped pink socks and had a brainwave! I had pink socks in my sell pile (they were plain and I didn't wear them) and I had some gorgeous pink lace which turned out to be an almost perfect match. So I stretched the socks around a box and hand-sewed the lace on while watching YouTube.


I did mess up a bit on the first sock and gathered it too much at first, so there's a patch where the lace is hardly gathered at all, but despite that I'm really happy with how these turned out. The sewing is a bit messy if you look close-up, but I ain't letting nobody that close to my legs in lolita so I think it's all okay. I am definitely going to repeat this experiment!

I'm really happy with all these sewing projects, it has been great to get my sewing motivation back. I have plans for another skirt (probably with another usamimi to match!) and as I said, more sock upcycling. After that, who knows? And that's half the fun!

4 comments:

  1. Yay for getting your sewing mojo back! Those socks I definitely would not be able to tell were upcycled, what great luck to have the lace match so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a damn good feeling! And thank you, the socks turns out so well, I'm really proud of myself ^__^

      Delete
  2. It's great that you'll now have the perfect matching accessory for your cherry skirt! Looks like it will be very comfortable to wear!
    I love how the socks turned out! Very cute, and a great idea for reducing waste <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The cherry headbow is very comfortable and I'm super proud of the sock upcycle ^__^

      Delete