Pages

Sunday 22 March 2020

Japan 2020 Highlights: Love Live

So if you follow me on Facebook you will know that I am very much into Love Live. If you don’t and you didn’t, well, you totally should and now you do!

I didn’t go into the trip intending to buy quite so much LL merch. In fact, I initially swore off buying any figures at all! But well, things happened and in the end I got quite a haul and that I’m very happy with!


See, the sort of things I thought I’d mostly get was a few keychains and gachapon thingies, like this stuff!


The Dia keychain was from a gacha, as were the two thing at the bottom, but I picked out all the other keychains. The Rin ones were just too cute (and big!) to resist, and I’ve cosplayed that Eli. Technically we did get the Eli for James’s camera bag, but he changed his mind and put her on my handbag instead, so she’s mine now! I got these all around the place - some in Tokyo, some in Kyoto, some in Hiroshima.


In Tokyo, specifically in a store in Akihabara on the fourth floor with the steepest and most deadly stairs I’ve ever encountered, I discovered a new type of collectible - towels. At about $10AUD I couldn’t pass this up! It’s the perfect size for a gym towel, and I love making that part of my life nerdy. James and I spent the rest of the trip looking for other suitably sized weeb towels. He found a BNHA one and I found…


...yep! Another LL one! James has already taken this one to the gym, where he was already the cutest person in attendance but is now even more cute!

I was pretty well behaved in Tokyo aka the first half of the trip, but when we got to Kyoto there was an anime goods store quite near our hotel which we visited more than once. And James is a fabulous enabler which meant that after quite a long time of me saying “no” to a lot of pretty and reasonably priced figures, I finally said yes to this Hanayo and Rin pair.


I am actually selling a Love Wing Bell Rin that I bought last year in Japan - I love her but she was kind of annoying on my desk and I was trying to minimise stuff. But since by this point it was obvious that we were going home with a bit of a figure collection (James kept finding amazing cheap things!) when I saw these two I finally gave in. They are so cute and honestly this is one of my favourite moments from the original LL series, so no regrets.

Now I have to confess to a lapse of memory. I thought I also bought Snow Halation Hanayo at that same store in Kyoto, but I think I actually put her back to get that pair. Regardless, with some encouragement from James, I spent the rest of the trip buying as many figures as I could (for under 800yen apiece though, had to be cheap!) in this Snow Halation series. I ended up with six out of nine.


I don’t even really like Snow Halation!

But with the arches and the dynamic poses these figures just look really cool, and it was really fun to track down the different girls. I can see why people get so into collecting full sets of things. My set will remain incomplete until the next time we go to Japan though, I checked out prices online and that’s a big nope from me.

I also grabbed this Mijuku Dreamer Mari. This is one of my favourite costume sets and something I want to cosplay eventually so I finally gave in and got her.


And then, the crowning achievement of my haul, the μ's →NEXT LoveLive! 2014 ~ENDLESS PARADE~ Day 2 live DVD which I found in I think the last anime store we visited in Osaka. I’d spent the trip trying to find any of the live DVDs for an affordable price and had failed up until that point, so I was really happy to find this one! I’ve already watched the first disc and thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s really gotten me excited for dancing again, which I’m very happy about.


I love every single item I got in this haul, though I think I’m most happy about the DVD and oddly enough the towels. I just like useful things!

Are any of my readers fans of Love Live? If so, tell me your favourite thing about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment