Pages

Monday 20 July 2015

Lolita 52: Three trends I wish would come back

One thing I love in lolita is that trends don't really ever go completely, so you're never committing a huge faux pas by following them. In fact, some things even return like the recent resurgence of old-school. However, there are a few trends that are less popular now than they used to be that I'd love to see more of.

Simple sweet

I adore sweet lolita where as JSK is paired with a white blouse and plain OTKs. The current more OTT trend is gorgeous, but there's something about a plain coord that frames a dress perfectly. I find there is something incredibly refreshing about plain sweet lolita coords, and even though I'm not much into typical sweet myself I love seeing these kind of outfits!


My wardrobe doesn't particularly lend itself to typical sweet lolita, but I came up with an outfit I really love to illustrate exactly the type of sweet lolita I mean. My simple Metamorphose lucky pack skirt, a white blouse, Innocent World socks that don't match 100% and small accessories to tie them in; overall a very plain but pretty look. You don't tend to see much sweet lolita styled like this and I feel like that's a pity.

Also, Panda really, really really wanted in on my photos today. I moved him a lot and he kept coming back...

Fawn fur

If you've been here a while you'll know I love the fawn fur trend. I just think it's a really pretty pattern! Also, the luxurious nature of fur, any fur, really suits the old-timey opulence that lolita can have.



My collection of fawn fur is quite nice, I think. The only other pieces I'd like to get are boot toppers, a full capelet and maybe a fawn-fur trimmed coat. I don't even wear these pieces much (evidenced by the fact the Axes Femme vest is still NWT) but I like having a collection.

Stripy socks

As far as trends properly dying out in lolita horizontally striped socks are probably the closest to being actually dead. And it's fair enough, because the Alice in Wonderland vibe such socks give off can read a like a costume and they're also a stereotypical first-time blunder when worn badly. But they make such a graphic image, and are so reminiscent of lolita's punk-y street fashion roots that I just love them. They do still seem to be popular in sailor style looks, and in otome kei so who knows, maybe they'll be making a proper comeback soon.


I wanted to put my single pair of striped socks to use in a coord that wasn't fully black and white so I pulled out my trusty Bodyline Chocoberry skirt, which really is one of my favourite things in my wardrobe. This outfit turned out kind of otome with the colours and patterns, and I really love it! And it really epitomises why I like posting outfits to this blog because I would never have come up with this outfit if I wasn't staring at my wardrobe going; "How can I make this work?" I hadn't used the grey Heart E bolero before but now I'm thinking of all the ways I can make it work. I really get a lot out of playing with my lolita wardrobe, it holds a surprising amount of versatility.

So there you have the three trends I like to come back, or at least regain more popularity, in lolita. Are there any trends you'd like to see be big again?

2 comments:

  1. I like striped socks too. I like all the basic shapes like diamond socks or simple cross patterns.

    I guess I'd like to see "the trend" of minmal gothic again. There's some die hard Moitie lovers and many lolitas like black classic or black sweet or sweet gothic. But I'd like to see a revival of the oldschool Mana style goth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basics are awesome, and they go with so much! I have some Meta socks in a neutral pattern that I just adore because they go with pretty much everything,

      That would be nice to see, and it's probably on the way since there's sort of a reaction against OTT going on at the moment.

      Delete