Pages

Friday 5 June 2020

A "buy it now, buy it new" capsule wardrobe

Or at least, you could buy it new when I saved the images in early May! This was a capsule wardrobe prompt from the CGL thread that I thought was very interesting - one only consisting of items currently available to buy new. I approached this by trying to satisfy my own taste, and I flipped through brand websites picking things I enjoyed...and then had the challenge of trying to make something cohesive out of it!


While it's cute, and certainly does work as a capsule, it's not as versatile as I like. A lot of the pieces aren't quite what I'd choose if I wasn't working only on what I could buy at the time. I may have done better if I hunted around more, but it really goes to show how even if you had the money that you could just leap on the brand sites (or be lucky enough to go to a store) and buy what you wanted, it may still take a while to build up a good, cohesive and versatile wardrobe.

So this was a really interesting challenge! I'm not completely happy with it, but I did up my usual four coords for each main piece and it still turned out pretty well overall.


This JSK I absolutely love, and I really think you can wear it sweet or classic styled, which I've done here. I had to include the matching headpiece, but since this piece is black and pink and white it matches literally every supporting piece in the wardrobe.


Then on Meta's site I fell in love with this OP as well. Since it's an OP, it doesn't matter that there's less that goes with it since it's less versatile by default, but I feel like you can still wear it several different ways.


My last "purchase" from Meta was this high-waisted skirt. Not much to say about it - it's black and has no pattern, so it goes with everything! I am particularly fond of the first look ^__^


Switching brands, I really liked this lace OP from Angelic Pretty. It is quite elegant, and a bit retro, but still fairly sweet. I felt it was quite versatile despite being a solid coloured OP.


Last but certainly not least was this tartan number from BTSSB - which I realised after the fact was actually a set and came with a rectangle headdress. Like the Meta OP, the colour means it doesn't work so well with the black supporting pieces, but I think there's still plenty you can do with it.

Overall this wardrobe was really interesting to put together! I enjoy the sweet/classic/retro vibe it has, and the fact that in such a small capsule you could range from sort of old school country vibes with the gingham JSK to opulent wa with the Meta JSK.

2 comments:

  1. Considering how many coord options this capsule allows you, it doesn't even seem *that* expensive? Of course, it's a lot of money to spend at once if one were to buy all of this in one go, but if you were to wear lolita semi-regularly and stick to just this capsule (or maybe add pieces only after selling something else to always keep your wardrobe this small), this seems pretty reasonable. This is a really great capsule in particular, even if it may not be as versatile as *you* would like, I think for someone with a narrower style/fewer needs for diversity this would be perfect. And I would love to add the wine Dolly Damask JSK to my own wardrobe for exactly the reasons you mentioned, I just wasn't able to justify that purchase and then it sold out. So hopefully I'll find it inexpensively second hand one day, as I think it could even work as formalwear to non-lolita occasions.
    Darn, I kind of want to do a capsule wardrobe like this myself, but I worry that it'll just end up becoming a shopping list for things I now really want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! It'd probably be around $3-4k AUD (our exchange rate is awful right now) but that's realistically not too horrible for a decent sized, all brand wardrobe. Yes, it's a lot of money,e specially all at once, but it's not really the "lolita is expensive" horror story.

      Dolly Damask is really beautiful, if you ever buy it I will live vicariously through you. I have to say though, putting this together has made me really seriously consider trying to get one of Meta's wa JSKs because damn this is beautiful!

      Haha I say do it! We need more lolita capsules ^__^

      Delete